Governance & Transparency
Congress created the Federal Reserve in 1913 with 12 individual Reserve Banks, overseen by a seven-member Board of Governors in Washington, D.C. The Fed’s unique public/private structure operates independently within government but not independent of it. Fed Governors are appointed by the President of the United States and confirmed by the Senate and serve 14-year terms to encourage a long-term perspective and to shelter them from partisan politics. Federal Reserve Bank presidents are selected in a nonpolitical process by their boards of directors, subject to the approval of the Board of Governors in Washington.
The Dallas Fed has a nine-member board of directors selected to represent a cross-section of banking, commercial, agricultural, industrial, service, labor, consumer, and public interests within the Eleventh Federal Reserve District. The Board of Governors has established policies regarding the roles and responsibilities of Reserve Bank directors.
Recognizing that the Federal Reserve is ultimately accountable to the American people, the Fed has steadily improved transparency about its actions in recent years. In that spirit, the Dallas Fed is posting its Code of Conduct.
In addition, all Federal Reserve Bank presidents are required to file financial disclosure reports annually with their Bank's ethics officer. The latest financial disclosure report submitted is available upon request to members of the news media. To receive the latest report, please submit your request via email to Alex Johnson, Public Affairs Department.
Boards of Directors
Bylaws and Charters
- Bylaws: Dallas
- Audit Committee Charter
- Budget Planning Committee Charter
- Nominating and Governance Committee Charter
- Standing Committees
Councils—Charters and Rosters
- Business and Community Advisory Council Charter
- Community Depository Institutions Advisory Council
- Community Depository Institutions Advisory Council Charter
- Emerging Leaders Council Charter
Board of Directors
Dallas Fed Boards of Directors
- About the Directors of FR Banks and Branches
- Director Eligibility Policy
- Guide to Conduct for Directors
- The latest Financial Disclosure Report submitted is available to members of the news media upon request. Send requests toJames Hoard