Texas Housing and Mortgage Update
Texas and other areas in the Eleventh District did not experience a drastic home appreciation or expansion of exotic mortgages in the lead-up to the recent recession; therefore, the region did not get into a mortgage crisis as severe as in some other parts of the nation. However, the region has not been immune to the consequences of the financial system turmoil and the economic slowdown. Read more »
Foreclosure Prevention Efforts Continue in Texas Metro Areas
Local coalitions and the Texas Foreclosure Prevention Task Force (TFPTF) continue their efforts to connect at-risk homeowners with free, nonprofit housing counseling approved by the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). Counselors can help borrowers evaluate their situation and understand the various remedies available to preserve homeownership. The TFPTF also works to support those counselors with funding, specialized training, marketing and outreach services. Read more »
News & Events
- The Dallas Fed's Foreclosure Resource Center has news, information, resources and announcements for consumers and foreclosure prevention practitioners. Details
- The DFW HOPE partnership will cohost a foreclosure prevention workshop with the Fannie Mae Mortgage Help Center on April 30, 2011, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at 2777 N. Stemmons Freeway, Dallas, TX 75207. At the workshop, borrowers may meet with foreclosure prevention experts including loan servicers, Fannie Mae representatives and HUD-approved counselors. Details
- The Don't Borrow Trouble campaign is partnering with the Texas Foreclosure Prevention Task Force in El Paso on May 7, 2011, to host a foreclosure prevention workshop from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at Bel Air High School Health Professions Building, 731 N. Yarbrough, El Paso, TX 79915. Homeowners who have questions regarding refinancing, loan modification or other alternatives to foreclosure may meet with HUD-approved counselors to discuss their options. Early registration is encouraged by calling 915-533-7283. Details
- April is Financial Education Month. A good resource for financial education events in Texas is the RAISE Texas website.
- The Dallas Fed's Small Business and Entrepreneurship Resource Center is a clearinghouse of information on current trends within the small business and entrepreneurship sectors and the ways these sectors are supported and promoted by public, private and nonprofit organizations. Details
- Save the date: June 16, 2011. The Dallas Fed, in partnership with the American Society of Hispanic Economists and the Immigrant Research and Policy Center at the University of North Texas, will host a research conference in Dallas that explores migration, labor and social trends in an effort to illustrate and widen understanding of the dynamic Hispanic population. Details
- The seventh biennial Federal Reserve Community Affairs System Research Conference, "The Changing Landscape of Community Development," will take place on April 28–29, 2011, in Arlington, Va. The conference will highlight new research in community development and will include keynote remarks by Chairman Ben Bernanke and Jeffrey Sachs, author of The End of Poverty. For more information about the conference, including the agenda and registration, visit the conference website.