History of the San Antonio Branch
On July 5, 1927, a staff of two officers and 55 employees officially opened the doors of the San Antonio Branch from a temporary headquarters located in the Frost National Bank building.
On October 6, 1928, the Branch moved into its first permanent location on Navarro Street, in a building that today houses the local office of the Mexican Consulate.
Some 28 years later, on October 1, 1956, when the staff had grown to four officers and 145 employees, the office moved to its current location—the site of what was once the Vance House, a two-story hotel, where a young Robert E. Lee stayed frequently during his tour of duty in Texas from 1853 to 1860. A marble plaque on the northwest corner of the grounds commemorates the site’s historical significance.
While times have changed in the city that is widely known for the Alamo and its Riverwalk, the decision to locate a Federal Reserve Bank Branch in San Antonio continues to contribute to a strong and stable Central and South Texas economy.